Vision of My Professional Life

Who am I? what I’m doing here? Can I really do this? These are questions that I always ask myself. Obviously, I’m giving a speech about myself, although I haven’t figured out who I really am. Who am I? I’m Xinyue, senior student double major in Comm Studies & English, with a Psyc minor. I can write a book about myself and my experiences of studying in the U.S., But, in the following, I would like to talk briefly about what my experience at the university teach me, and how they shape my career aspiration, as well as where do I see myself in five years.

Before I came to the U.S., I wanted to study psychology or mass communication. But, my advisor applied comm studies for me. I had no idea what I would do with it. In particular, when I was still struggling with the new, frustrating life in America in my first two years. For a long time, I felt like walking alone in a foggy forest in the night. I doubted myself, and I didn’t think I can survive. But, being the one and only “foreigner” in most of my classes pushed me to fight. It seems that these hard times didn’t destroy me but helped me grow as a Wonder Woman. So, here I am.

There’s no doubt that studying communication changed my mind. It allows me to learn human beings and the secret of human relationships, and to know how to interact with others properly. Whereas studying English allows me to think critically. It inspires me as a writer and communicator. The most important thing is that both of them help me know myself, and figure out the things that I feel passionate about– helping people who are like me to know themselves, discover their potentials, and then become the better self.

It might because what I’m studying or my caring nature, most of my friends like to talk to me about something personal. I love these one-to-one conversations. They inspire me a lot. This summer. An hours-long conversation with an old friend reminded me of one thing that I’m good at, listening. So, I told myself, I’m going to graduate school in counseling psychology.

This semester, I became a consultant in the writing center and a mentor in the English Students Advisory Board. It’s a new challenge for me, but also a good opportunity to practice. Taking this capstone course would allow me to do more research about counseling, in particular, the relationship between counselor and visitors. I believe that by doing this, I can get more insights into my future career, as well as myself.

We are always changing, and there are many possibilities in our life, so it’s always hard for me to make a long-term plan. But I wish in five, or ten years, I could get a doctoral degree and work as a counselor, specializing in school counseling or family and marriage counseling. 


Life is hard, but the hardness motivates us. I know there are more challenges waiting for me. I’m looking forward to embracing them. 

Comments

Popular Posts